Unlocking local potential
Totnes Community Development Society (TCDS) incorporated as an Industrial and Provident Society for the Benefit of the Community in July 2012 with five Members. They are are Ed Vidler, Dave Chapman, Rob Hopkins, Frances Northrop and Anna Lodge. You can find out more about them here Directors.
TCDS was set up with 6 objectives:
- Identifying opportunities to obtain land and buildings, within Totnes and the surrounding area, which have the potential for viable community use
- Working with other organisations to develop such opportunities to ensure they are brought into community use
- Undertaking these development opportunities in a manner that will ensure their environmental and financial sustainability over the long term
- Ensuring that the maximum value from these development opportunities, during construction and thereafter, is retained within the local economy
- Ensuring the democratic control of these development opportunities by the community through the establishment of an appropriate level membership of this Society
- Providing an opportunity for public-spirited people and organisations to contribute financially to the community, with the expectation of a social dividend.
You can download a copy of the Totnes Community Development Society rules here.
It has been incredibly busy since our last update, so apologies that this one is coming out later than we would have liked.
As we head towards the end of another year, this briefish update focuses on some of the oldest facilities in our community (the Mansion) coming into community management; some of the youngest members of our community showing some amazing appetite for supporting each other and developing their own talents (the Golden Iris Festival); and some of the investment that is coming into Totnes to support a new way of building new homes, facilities and managing listed assets together for and as a community (the Brunel Building in Atmos Totnes).read more
A limited number of EARLY BIRD TICKETS are now on sale for the Golden Iris Festival.
A positive and provocative new event, the Golden Iris festival has been designed by a young creative team to provide a space for Totnes to come together as a community and to show off the talents we all have alongside some of the UK’s best and most diverse acts.read more
The Golden Iris Festival team are looking for vendors and stallholders (including community organisations). If you are interested in a pitch for this years’ event on 7th October please download a brief for vendors by following this link.read more